Planning your visit
Whether it is on site, online, or at your school, our Education team can tailor sessions to ensure your students have a rich and engaging learning experience.
Our Education Programmes are delivered in one-hour sessions. Each Programme can accommodate up to 30 learners. You can also incorporate a visit to Exscite as part of your Education booking.
Read more: Education programmes and sample timetables.
Ministry of Education (MOE) approved education providers, including ECEs and schools
|Non-MOE providers, including holiday providers and community groups|
|1 one-hour Education Programme
|2 one-hour Education Programmes
|Exscite only (Child)
|1 one-hour Education Programme + Exscite
2 one-hour Education Programmes + Exscite
|Exscite (Adults above ratio)||$5|
We invoice your school post-visit, although if you want to pay on the day, we can arrange that also.
1 adult: 4 students
1 adult: 8 students
1 adult: 15 students
1 adult: 30 students
These ratios include teachers/supervisors.
Book your museum trip
Bookings are essential for school groups!
Please fill in a Booking Enquiry. This is the first step in the process. Once you hear back from us and we’ve agreed a date, we will be able to proceed to confirming your booking.
Health and safety
To make planning easier we have prepared a set of RAMS Forms for school visits. These can be downloaded and personalised:
Managing your visit
Before you arrive
- It is helpful for you to have a discussion with your class about visiting the museum environment.
- Feel free to use these slides in your class: Before You Visit the Museum
- We will contact you to confirm your visit.
When you arrive
- There is free school bus parking on Grantham St near the school entrance. If you are travelling in a private van we recommend you put signage in your vehicle to indicate you are a school group.
- Bring your group to the school entrance at the top right of the Museum. We will meet you there.
- We normally start with an introduction in our lecture theatre. There is a lockable bag bay for your bags.
- We supply any pencils, paper, and other equipment you may need for your visit.
- For younger children we recommend a snack break before we start our programme.
If you have specific questions about learning support please contact us.
Buses, school vans and hired vans
There is a dedicated bus bay at the very top of Grantham Street near our school’s entrance. If your van does not have a school name/logo on it, please write the name of the school and that you are on a Museum visit, on a large piece of paper and leave it on the dashboard. Cars are unable to use this space.
There are two disabled parking spaces in front of the Museum on Victoria Street.
The Museum does not have its own parking area; however, you may find some parking in the carpark behind the ArtsPost building off Victoria street.
There are two-hour free parks along Victoria Street and Grantham Street.
Bookings may be cancelled without penalty up to 48 hours before date of the booking.
A cancellation fee of up to $75 may apply if the visit is cancelled or rescheduled within 48 hours of the date of the booking.