Waikato Museum and ArtsPost response to Covid-19
20 March 2020
The safety and wellbeing of everyone who visits Waikato Museum and ArtsPost is our priority. We are closely monitoring the advice from the Government and Ministry of Health, and will be updating our guests via our website and social media platforms as new information becomes available.
Are we open?
Yes, Waikato Museum and ArtsPost currently remain open to the public. We are working with the Ministry of Health and other lead agencies as we respond to a fast-moving situation. We are continually updating our plans and actions as we get new information, so we can make the best decisions for our facility and our city. We ask that you help protect the public and staff by not visiting the museum if you feel unwell. Any updates on openings and possible closures will be made on our website and social media platforms. As this is an unfolding situation, we cannot guarantee opening hours.
While we are open, we want to assure people that we have taken a number of precautions. These include:
- Extra cleanings to high traffic areas (such as front of house and toilet areas)
- Hand sanitizer available at points throughout the Museum, Exscite and ArtsPost including the reception desks in both buildings
- Signage reminding people of good hygiene practices in the main areas of the Museum and ArtsPost
We urge people to use their best judgment, and common sense.
- Avoid crowded spaces and if seated at a Museum event, leave a space between you and the next visitor if they are not a close family member
- Observe social distancing – two metres is recommended
- If you have flu-like symptoms, please prioritise your health and that of our community and our team. Stay home and rest up.
We want to be here for anyone in our community who may need us, but we encourage everyone to be proactive when it comes to their own health and safety, as well as others.
Are there events happening?
We are following Ministry of Health guidelines for events. We are not currently running any events that might attract large crowds. We will continue to run smaller events, but we will actively manage attendance at these events. Our School Holiday Programme will run, but is limited to 20 pre-booked children per day. This situation will remain under review.
As a visitor to Waikato Museum and ArtsPost how can I help?
- Stay home if you feel unwell.
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow or by covering your mouth and nose with tissues.
- Put used tissues in the bin or a bag immediately.
- Wash your hands with soap and water often (for at least 20 seconds).
- Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell.
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean.
- Avoid personal contact, such as kissing, sharing cups or food with sick people.
- Call Healthline on 0800 358 5453 if you have any symptoms and have been to any countries or territories of concern or have been in close contact with someone confirmed with COVID-19.
- Follow the Ministry of Health’s guidelines on their website.